Sunday, December 19, 2010

To Grandpa & Grandma's House We Go!

Today we made the 14-hour drive back to Iowa for Christmas!!!

Serena's bottom right molar is apparently coming through (I haven't gotten a good enough look at the left side to see if it's coming through too) since I found a big blister on that spot yesterday. :P Nice timing, huh? That made for a kind of rough night's sleep last night! I woke up around 4:30 or so, and she was thrashing and squirming and obviously not sleeping well. I just laid there willing her to fall back into a deep sleep since I was hoping to get up in 15 minutes or so to take a shower (we planned to leave at 6). Finally, around 5:05, I decided I was just going to have to get up and get going and let Serena do whatever she was going to do. I wasn't in the bathroom for more than 3 minutes when I heard little hands on the door and a little Serena-voice saying, "Ah! Ah!" For the next hour, she followed Jordan & I around with big red-rimmed eyes, whining pitifully as if to say, "Why are we up this early?!" When I finally buckled her in her carseat, she kind of laughed as if out of relief; and she fell asleep within the first 10-15 minutes of our trip! Jordan and I both breathed a huge sigh of relief, haha! Especially when she continued to sleep until 8 or 8:30! Yay! We had brought along all our own food and drinks, so we only stopped for gas and bathroom breaks. Serena spent the time in the truck eating, talking, listening to the radio, and playing with the toys I had brought for her. She took a 2-hour nap in the early afternoon, too. When we got to Des Moines, we stopped briefly at our house to pick up some things we had left there. Serena had fun running around in the empty rooms and climbing the staircase 4 or 5 times! For the last half hour or so before we arrived at Jordan's parents' house, Serena started getting a bit fussy. It was her normal bedtime, so I wasn't too surprised. Finally, she fell asleep...literally 3 minutes before we got to our destination, haha!

She was a bit reserved when she first saw everyone, but she warmed up fairly quickly with the help of Daddy & his dog whistle! She soon figured out that she had eager playmates and an enthusiastic audience here! I'm sure tomorrow will be lots of fun for her!

Playing with a cup on the trip

1 comment:

jules said...

sounds like she didn't do too bad on the long trip! yay!!

it's been so fun to see you guys:)