Friday, September 17, 2010

First Tan Line and First Word (Besides Mama & Dada)

We've been taking Serena to the pool with us 3 or 4 afternoons a week since we got here. We just go for an hour or less, usually, and not until late afternoon. I make sure to slather sunscreen on Serena, and so far we have avoided her getting burned. However, yesterday I noticed that she's getting a tan line! It goes across the middle of her back where her swimsuit hits!

Serena's very first (and very cute) tan line!

All day today Serena has been working on saying "uh-oh." For the last couple days, whenever she would fall down and I would say "uh-oh," she would look at me very carefully. So I would say it again because I could tell she was trying to figure out how I was doing that. Finally this morning she started making attempts at saying it. Until about 4 or 5 o'clock, she would usually only manage the "uh" part. Maybe 30% of the time she'd get an "oh" out...but even that was pretty delayed after the "uh." So pretty much all day I've been saying "uh-oh" back and forth with her. And listening to her say "uh" while she eats, while she plays, while I change her diaper...you get the idea! This evening, when she finally figured out how to put the "uh" and the "oh" together, she became even more obsessed with the word! It's pretty cute and I'm going to try to get it on video tomorrow. This is her first word besides "Mama," "Dada," and "Dah!" (which is doggie), so that's pretty exciting! We've been wondering when she was going to try to come up with a new word. However, unless her enthusiasm for "uh-oh" abates soon, we're going to be even more anxious for the next word to come along, haha!

Oh, another thing we did today was learn the sign for "more." Usually Serena just goes "Ah, ah, ah!" and points at what she wants, so hopefully this will be a step towards learning some table manners. I'll have to work on getting video of that too!

This afternoon, Serena brought me one of her rings from her stacker and I put it on my finger. She thought that was SO neat, and after that she kept wanting to stack rings on my finger! Even later on, when we were sitting on the floor again, she went and got a couple rings, brought them to me, picked up my hand, and started putting them on my finger again! :D

Serena loved the new twist to her stacking game!

2 comments:

your friend from Iowa said...

Can't wait for the Uh-Oh Video!
Love the tan-line! She looks so cute walking away carrying her toy - going about her business!

jules said...

smart little kiddo :) fun!